Please wait...
Please wait...
May iPad

Moonscoop faces $5m lawsuit

LA-based Mike Young Productions Inc (MYPI) is suing a holding company it claims blocked its attempt to take over the US arm of insolvent French firm Moonscoop SA.

Mike Young, CEO of LA-based Moonscoop LLC, confirmed to C21 he is taking legal action against Moonscoop US Holdings via Mike Young Productions Inc (MYPI) after a failed buy-out attempt.

Moonscoop US Holdings, a subsidiary of Paris-based animation producer-distributor Moonscoop SA, holds a 51% stake in Moonscoop LLC (formerly known as Mike Young Productions), while MYPI holds the remaining 49%.

Moonscoop SA rebranded Mike Young Productions as Moonscoop LLC in 2009 after taking a majority stake in the company in 2005.

MYPI made an offer to buy out Moonscoop US Holdings’ 51% share in Moonscoop LLC prior to Moonscoop SA entering administration earlier this year, but was refused.

“Moonscoop US Holdings has taken no steps to ensure that MYPI’s rights under the operating agreement are fulfilled, but rather has acted to benefit [Moonscoop] SA at the expense of MYPI,” the lawsuit reads.

According to the court report, MYPI is suing for US$5m, claiming “damages for breach of contract, breach of faith, breach of fiduciary duty, intentional interference with prospective economic advantage and violation of business and professions codes.”

MYPI also wants Moonscoop US Holdings prohibited from “interfering with its rights under the operating agreement.”

Moonscoop SA, owner of Moonscoop US Holdings, declined to comment.

SuperTed creator Young added that he was unaware of Moonscoop SA’s financial troubles until the news broke that it had entered administration earlier this year.

He told C21 that Moonscoop SA becoming insolvent has caused problems for Moonscoop LLC, as the two companies were coproducing a project at the time.

Soon after the news of Moonscoop SA’s financial troubles in July, Moonscoop LLC issued a statement distancing itself from Moonscoop in France.

“While Moonscoop France has an equity interest in our companies, we are a completely separate group and are both operationally and financially sound,” Moonscoop LLC and its VoD platform Kabillion said in July.

Moonscoop LLC also holds an 84% stake in Kabillion, having bought out Belgian animation house Studio 100’s stake in July last year. US-based Remix Entertainment holds a minority interest.

Moonscoop LLC’s IP includes the children’s series Chloe’s Closet, Dive Olly Dive! and Pet Alien, while its production slate includes Lalaloopsy, Gunk Aliens and a 2D toon featuring characters from the original Archie comics as tweens.

Please wait...

Send us your news by
clicking here